Source data files
Source data files are the files found in your editing kit's
data folder. These are the assets which have not yet been converted into tag format by Tool (or Sapien in the case of scripts). In most cases, assets within
data will have a corresponding tag under the same folder layout in
In the data folder you will typically find:
- .JMS models which are compiled into gbxmodel, scenario_structure_bsp and others.
- .WRL files which contain error geometry when the above fails.
- .JMA, .JMM, etc files which are compiled into model_animations.
- .tif textures which are compiled into bitmap tags.
- .hsc scenario scripts, most commonly used to orchestrate singleplayer levels (e.g. AI encounters, cutscenes).
- .txt files for compiling into unicode_string_list.
- .hmt files for compiling into hud_message_text.
The process of converting these assets into tag format is called compilation or sometimes importing. Instructions for the official process can be found on Tool's page. There are also community-made tools which convert assets to tags, like Invader and Mozzarilla, which can offer a different user experience or advanced features.